Monday, May 16, 2011

Our Greatest Prayer Need

In just a few days my son Mark Daniel, my friend John Horn, and I are boarding a plane for Cameroon. Once there we will criss-cross the country for the next 20 days. We will visit with government officials, church leaders, Muslim village elders, a chief or two, brothers and sisters in Christ, and almost 40 orphans. We'll travel by train, private vehicle, foot, motorcycles, as well as some very crowded public transport vans. We'll eat lots of fish, chicken, and of course bowls of rice. We'll have opportunity to preach the Gospel, hand out literature, books, and 100 copies of the Jesus Dvd which is the life of Christ according to the Book of Luke. In addition, we will give solar-powered recordings of the New Testament in some of the local dialects to believers to use in their evangelistic and discipleship ministries. We will also act as couriers for missionaries and spend a few days ministering to as well as being ministered to by an almost 90 year old Chicago native who has spent her life serving the Lord in a hard place doing hard things to make much of Jesus.

So, there you have it--we will be doing alot in the next three weeks--but it won't count for a lick if it is not done in love. That's why if you are wondering how to pray for us and this trip probably the best thing to pray for is our "love". Ask God to give us hearts filled and running over with love for Him, His people, and those who aren't. This is our greatest need--far beyond our safety, success, and satisfaction.

If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging symbol. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it, but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment